2. Starky

Starky’s second album, their first on a major label has received a lot of attention lately, though I must admit I’m yet to get it. For the moment I’m perfectly content with their EP, which I bought just days before realising their album was about to be released (the wounds are still healing). But thankfully the EP was impressive enough to reinforce my affinity, not turn me away and from what I’ve heard on the radio, the new album is similarly impressive. I’ve heard their music described as power pop and I’d have to say it’s a fairly accurate description. Upon giving the EP a spin for the first time I was indeed blown away. The first song, Is This How It Ends (which is also on the album), hits you early on and maintains this high level of energy throughout. It’s testimony to its quality that I was impressed by it after so few listens. When I hear their music I often think of Razorlight (when they’re getting it right) along with a hoard of other notable musicians that I just can’t put my finger on. While at times they come off a bit ‘serious’, Starky have definitely caught my eye and I’m eager to see how their music is translated into a live performance.

Starky - Is This How It Ends?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, and thy have sold their souls in the process.
i hate to sound like a bitter wanker, but fuck! as good as their tunes are, they have compromised their musical integrity with the change in sound and the manufactured fog of publicity that now surrounds them.
give me city prison doors anyday.

on the upside, theyll make it (in the UK probly). and there will be a pot of gold at the end of their rainbow.

Peter said...

yeh i definitely i got hints that they appeared to be going that way. but well what can you do? it's pretty hard for a band to turn down money and fame. that said i definitely don't condone such action and let's hope they don't get fixated on that pot of gold. otherwise we may just have to disown them as we've done to so many of our 'best'

Anonymous said...

I hate sell out music but do we just call them sell outs if people other then us ousiders decide their music is good. As long as they can still produce their own individual style all will be fine. PLus who here could say no to a bunch of money for doing what you love.

congrats on success/tunes but try and retain your own style (to starky)

Anonymous said...

SECOND CHOICE STARKY!

Peter said...

being second doesn't mean they're second......the number's just there to indicate when they were done in order to show which bands are included and how long remains. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Domin8 MySpace with myspace friend adder. Check out www.domin8myspace.com