The Sleepy Jackson - Personality (One Was A Spider/One Was A Bird)

I’ve found it hard to form my own opinion about this band. Of the two people I talked to before getting this album, both of whom I respect theirs tastes, one told me they were utterly boring and the other utterly brilliant. But after listening to it a few times, I think I’m starting to warm to it. Though it definitely feels like the kind of album you either love or you hate (and yet I just said I was ‘warming’ to it, suggesting a position in between love and hate……). The Sleepy Jackson is basically Luke Steele, with the help of a few other musicians. Now I may have gotten a wrong impression somewhere along the line but to me Luke Steele just seems weird, eccentric even. To make it clearer, he reminds me of Willy Wonka, Johnny Depp style. And just so you know, that half-naked guy in the album is him…….cradling……..himself. I think that’s more than enough evidence to support my hypothesis. Then again, he lives in Perth so you can’t blame him for having a few screws loose.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/149940/TheSleepyJackson_GodLeadsYourSoul.mp3
God Leads Your Soul – This was the first song I heard, the first single if you like. My first impression was that the sound was rather grand. They don’t use that many instruments and yet they still manage to make music that somehow seems significant. I thought this might have been a novelty track of sorts but no, I was wrong. It appears this guy likes being grand. In fact, I wouldn’t classify them as rock or pop, but rather as grand! Yeah.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/149940/TheSleepyJackson_DevilWasInMyYard.mp3
Devil Was In My Yard – I don’t think these guys are religious. Though that’s just a hunch, a hunch up against the fact that 4 song titles refer to either God, Hell or the Devil. But moving on, I really love what he does with his voice in this song, it elevates it to easily my favourite on the album.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

diamond nights?
please?

Peter said...

too late. i purposely left that great song off so everyone would have to buy it......

Anonymous said...

dangg! van she?
i hardly have any of their music

Anonymous said...

your links are retarded... so i used limewire
i only got the first track, but i think i'd agree with you on that it sounds grand but only in small areas - the bits with brass. so it fails to reach its potential in my eyes. cos every other bit is utterly boring as someone else said.
i saw them live supporting silverchair a few years back. i prob wouldn't boo at them as much, but i would still boo. you should put his sister's stuff up.. she's good

Anonymous said...

hey..sorry for being annoying but wondering if you got any playroom stuff???????
i never went to their gig at candys but people told me they were pretty good.

Peter said...

56123 (I know who you are) - You are the one who is retarded. I checked the link and downloaded the file perfectly. Though they are looking kind of messy i admit. My regular uploader bailed on me and after a exhausting search for a new home i came across this one and all seemed dandy. However whenever i tried to hyperlink, as i usually do, half the post disappeared........so until i get things fixed the big ugly links must be included as part of the post. Sorry

me - I too am lacking Van She. I'm eager to get their new EP and if its good i may feature it. In the meantime, go to http://www.myspace.com/vanshe - myspace is every music lovers best friend, however lame it may seem. Don't worry, you're far from being annoying. In fact, I hadn't actually heard of Playroom yet and upon checking them out, they seem to have alot of potential. So thanks! On that note, until i've investigated further, I can't really offer you any help, other than to say Myspace! (http://www.myspace.com/playroommusic)

Anonymous said...

yeah i have a myspace. i have all these bands added its just i can't download the actual song from there. it sucks balls big time that i have to go to the computer to listen to them.
i was wondering if you had van she's first ep.i only have 2 songs. yes. the shame. help?

Peter said...

nooope sorry. To be honest I'm really poor and stingy so buying cds isn't something I do regularly. But local music isn't exactly the easiest thing to find on the internet and so due to the frustration of being without so much good music I've decided to go on a massive splurge on all the great, yet largely unknown, EPs floating around at the moment. So I'll probably be featuring alot of that music soon, perhaps as a special of some sorts. But there is another way you could get those songs. You go to a shop and buy it.....it's radical I know but it's worth a try. Now at least I can say I tried......

Ed said...

Hi, found you site after indie-mp3 featured us both in a list of new blogs out there. Really like Open Your Eyes whihc I have been checking daily since.

Like the 'Devil was in my Yard' track but thought 'God Lead Your Soul' was better (nothing to do with the titles). Will buy album, as thought Lovers was excellent.

BTW if you have time check out my blog 17 Seconds: http://www17seconds.blogspot.com

Ed (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Peter said...

Hey, I'm glad you liked the songs and the site. I'll have thank whoever runs indie-mp3 for all the people he's referred. Will definitely check out your site. Lookout for a comment somewhere