Midnight Juggernauts

Midnight Juggernauts posses a quality so rarely found in the musical world: A name that fits. This Melbourne duo pump out some impressive late-night dance beats and they’ve already established themselves as heavyweights of the industry. My knowledge of electro music is about as limited as my like for it, but lately I’ve found myself slowly being won over. The likes of Cut Copy, The Presets and now Midnight Juggernauts, all of which I'm proud to say are Australian, have led me into unfamiliar territory. I think where these bands have succeeded is in there their ability to blend the line between electro and rock, essentially opening up the world of dance music to a whole new audience. After all, we were all born with the inherent desire to flail ourselves around uncontrollably in the hope that we look cool. Well I’m pleased to report that this is one feeling that Midnight Juggernauts are sure to invoke. Their sound incorporates a wealth of crazy sounds, including quirky vocal stylings, providing plenty of depth and variety. But at the same time the backbone of their music, drums and synthesiser, means it’s always great to dance to. One thing I’ve noticed however, with bands such as Cut Copy and The Presets, is that (for me) their music is either hit-or-miss. Midnight Juggernauts on the other hand, not only have their hits, but the ‘filler’ is equally enjoyable. True, they haven’t released an album yet, but they’re definitely one to look out for. I saw these guys live before I’d really got to know their stuff and I still had fun. Now I can’t wait to unleash my pre-prepared moves on the unsuspecting dance floor!

45 And Rising – This is the latest single of their EP ‘Secrets of the Universe’ and it has really grown on me of late. It features the modulated vocals which pop up every now and then and appear to be a crowd favourite. It also changes pace nicely, settling into a mellow rhythm and then jumping up to a higher level at just the right time

Raised By Wolves – This is a slightly older track and I think the first of their’s I heard. It’s a bit rockier than the norm, with guitars taking preference to the synth and while the background vocals could easily get on the wrong side of you, it’s a solid and highly enjoyable track

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

there hasn't been a lot of music that has moved me lately but i'm loving these guys. great songs. it's opened up that indie cross over dance rock world to me. more of it please.

Anonymous said...

hey..were they always like this? i remember seeing them wayy back and i'm pretty sure they weren't as electro as they are now, they were more like ordinary band with 3 people? give me a bit of history please because i have shunned them away from my music library based on their live performance..which i found rather normal...and the latest rave surrounding these guys has made me curious?

Peter said...

To be honest I'm not quite sure. I say two piece because that's what I vaguely remember seeing and thats what the press photos seem to show. As you can tell my knowledge is a bit thin. I definitely think they are heading more electro though, as you can see from the difference between the two songs i offered. They're latest ep, Secrets Of The Universe is all electro and all great. I recommend you fill your music library with it. These guys will be very big very soon.

Anonymous said...

oh no someone else named mel. stupid common name. i disagree with whatever she said. just cause.

Anonymous said...

yeah i'll make sure to get a copy of their latest ep. hopefully i'll be able to see them soon again. i want to see how they've evolved.
thanks