Augie March

My knowledge of Augie March doesn’t stretch much further than their latest album, ‘Moo, You Bloody Choir’, but this is more than enough for me to know that they are one of the greatest Aussie bands going around at the moment. I almost didn’t look into them because I wasn’t the biggest fan of the lead single, One Crowed Hour, but I’m glad I did because the album is quite impressive. What really strikes me is the amount of variety. Each song comes on with a fresh sound and to their credit, each is as good as the last. Sadly however, Augie March are a very underrated band and so often their talent is overlooked. If you’ve dismissed them in the past, give them a proper listen and see if you haven’t missed something. Their music is always well-crafted and a pleasure to listen to. Not only this, but for once, Augie March are a band who’s lyrics are actually meaningful, not just incoherent ramblings. They are indeed fantastic but live shows are another thing. I really have no idea what to expect so you’ll have to fill me in. Unfortunately at a festival such as Homebake, their big name has landed them a spot that clashes with other big name bands. Decisions, decisions!

Just Passing Through – Seeing as the competition was so tight, when picking a song off their latest album, I thought I’d pick the one I’d most like to see live. This song won, largely thanks to its thumping drums that help to create quite an engaging rhythm.

Asleep In Perfection – This is one of their old songs that I was very familiar with. It reminds me of Radiohead, which is always a good thing and is such a soothing song to have playing in the background.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw them @Newtown in May. Enthralling live band but the singer's a bit moody. Fortunately the drummer is an absolute charmer. Whether this will at Homebake (not the most forgiving or intimate of locations) or not is a bit of a gamble.

Anonymous said...

Saw them last night at Mercury Lounge in NY (30 July 2007) and they really delivered for the audience. Great sound and right on key (really clean). They did display that same overall attitude as the previous blogger informed you. Richards certainly seems like the brooding type (which as the song writer/lead guitarist for this group makes sense -and I don’t find this offensive on his part, but rather I can respect his want for maintaining professionalism), while Williams on the other hand seems to take delight in amusing the crowd with a light-hearted quip thrown in between segments. It actually makes for a great match on-stage and one has to wonder if it’s a bit of a set-up. Really, it doesn’t matter as it just makes for good fun for the spectators watching the show. Anyway, I can attest that they were as good live as they are recorded. I was quite pleased, as were the other 200 people in the room (remember that they are only starting marketing and promotion for their album here in the US, so you can still get into a small venue for $12 dollars). I am sure that this will not be the case come 2008.
eRay

sandpaperhearts said...

Augie March's new album "Moo, You Bloody Choir" is in stores now! Head to www.myspace.com/augiemarch for dates and info!

Peter said...

that come out AGES ago!

Anonymous said...

Matt Moore said Glen is moody. lol. he's not that moody. Great guy he is. Haven't spoken to him in ages though.