Red Riders - Replica Replica

I’ve written so much about this band, I literally had to go back and make sure I wasn’t repeating myself. Red Riders are a local Sydney band who are renowned for making incredibly catchy indie/pop/rock music. Suffice to say, I was REALLY looking forward to this album. Well now I can happily tell you that in typical Red Riders style, it is a blast. It definitely gives off a far darker feel than their previous work, almost to the point that it is unrecognisable. In fact when I heard their first single, Slide In Next To Me, on the radio, my first reaction was “oh, so Red Riders must be covering this song when they play it live”. To find out that it was actually them playing was quite a shock. But fear not because it won’t take long before you’ll begin to familiarise (and fall in love with) this new sound. It will take even less time if you’ve heard them live recently. This is because Red Riders are an awesome live band and you must really experience them in both formats to gain the maximum effect. I didn’t actually appreciate either of their two EPs until I heard them play live and was blown away. Having since become familiar with their live show, which incorporated many of their new songs, from the very first spin I was in love with this record. It’s clear that a lot of production effort went into it and thankfully it has resulted in their energy being nicely captured. Red Riders are band to get excited about. You simply MUST see them live, ideally as many times as possible, because it’s a great experience. They seem to be touring non-stop at the moment so don’t miss out. As for this record, it is an incredibly impressive debut effort and a must for every fan.

C’mon – Anyone who has seen these guys live will recognise this song. It grabs your attention right from the start and in no time gets you moving. It’s a perfect set (and album) opener

Scream – This song seems to have slipped under my radar, only sounding vaguely familiar. But after just a few listens it was propelled to the top and now I can’t wait to see it live.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully this is on itunes - if so, its mine this arvo :). You certainly have good taste in music!

BTW, your template looks a little screwed today..

Peter said...

Yeah get it if you can, it's great. I got mine a day early, direct from Al, aka 'The Quiff' and was too excited to hold back.

p.s. by logic, anyone who says I have a good taste in music must like similar stuff and hence also have good tastes. So cheers to both of us! That is, of course, unless we both have poor tastes....

Anonymous said...

holy shit

MODEST MOUSE
Wednesday 03 January Enmore Theatre, Sydney
Tickets are on sale Monday October 30 through ticketek

Peter said...

Apparently so. I probably won't go. I'm a big fan but it is somewhat limited...if that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

not really but i'll pretend like it does.

i just figured out i probably won't either cause i'll be recovering from peats ridge.

chuckwagon said...

they have a very very rad b-side on the 'slide in' single too, called "the girl..." something-or-other.
also their producer is potentially the coolest 40yr old ive ever met.

and goddam it, i missed the shins track

Unknown said...

i have to say i am enjoying this new shins album i now own. i think chutes too narrow stills rules the roost.

...it always gets me down when i fail the word verification

Peter said...

own? Stole! I guess I can't talk...as for the Chutes comment, i agree, if you visited before 8am on saturday you have seen my full evaluation of the record but alas, my policy is that if a band doesn't want mp3s, they don't get a review. I'll probably be pulling it back out come release so my effort wasn't wasted (and to see if my thoughts have evolved).

yeah those word verifications can be tricky, it prevents the idiots from posting. If you can pass this difficult test, you are worthy of commenting!

Peter said...

oh and I've definitely gotta get my hands on that b-side, it sounds interesting!

Anonymous said...

hey peter im not sure if you 'review' psychedelic stuff, but you should 'review' the kula shaker E.P "revenge of the king". It's slightly different to the stuff you do but i think you might enjoy it. It's been on itunes for a while now, and they're releasing a full album early 2007.

Anonymous said...

oh and by the way, what's with owning the new shins album so soon.. i was under the impression that it only releases early 2007???

Peter said...

Yeah the shins album leaked and I pounced on it. I was the second blog in the world to post on it. Then the record company pounced on me...

kula shaker eh? I'll look into it. I usually don't do EP's but then again, I plan doing a heap of my favourites when I get time to get them out of the way. It may just make it...