7. Howling Bells

I’m finding I’m using a lot more female led bands in this Sydney feature than I do usually. Not only does this indicate that Sydney has a wealth of female talent floating around but it quashes any suggestion that I have an inherent sexism in my music tastes. Howling Bells are interesting band for me. In the past I’ve liked bands with a slight country influence, but this band takes me one step closer to that dreaded genre. Thankfully I’ve managed to overcome such superficial worries and just concentrate on the fact that they make great music. Their music is a blend a country and rock sounds but their most distinguishing feature is their vocals, both lead and backing, which create an almost haunting feel. Song choice here was very difficult and I encourage you to check out the other contenders (Setting Sun, Low Happening) on their Myspace. Despite originating from Sydney, they only just scraped into qualification here. It was only after reinventing themselves on a two year trip to London that they became the band we see today. But they’re back now so I’ll happily claim them as our own.

Howling Bells - Broken Bones

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't much of a Waikki fan so i was apprehensive about 'Howling bells', but on hearing their first single i was hooked. Nice choice

Peter said...

Thanks. For anyone who's confused, Waikki was previously the name of the band before they were 'transformed'.

Unknown said...

ive narrowed it down to the best of my ability to pinpoint my dislike of this band in the short time that i have been listening. because as far as i can see i should like them. to the most of my knowledge the drumming is lacking. there is potential greatness somewhere behind the sound they are creating..vocals definitely add brilliance but i can so far only describe the drum sequences as rather lackluster. the opening 45 secs to the album is great..but it diminishes. theres no edge, somewhat spherical. i wont give up though, they shall continue to vibrate through the air until such times as something stops them from doing so...as in i push stop

Peter said...

meh, you may be right. I find that there's strong songs and weak songs. The weakness of some of the songs could very well be attributed to what you mention but as for the strong songs, I see nothing wrong with them