Suburban Kids With Biblical Names - #3

This album may have been released last year but it’s new to me and that’s all that matters. Besides, I’m sure many of you out there missed it when came through and it would truly be a shame for me not to share it with you. For those who don’t know, Suburban Kids With Biblical Names are from Sweden and they make incredibly catchy pop music (surprise, surprise). Never before have I taken to lo-fi music so whole-heartedly but their amateur sound is just so charming. They make you feel involved and immersed in their music and it becomes quite infectious. I’m not sure if this is the truth or just some fantasy I’ve created, but when I imagine these guys creating music, I see them cramped up in a tiny bedroom, recording anything that makes a sound, feeding it into their computer and having a ball playing around with it. This album truly is a heap of fun and you can’t help but think they thoroughly enjoyed making it. With only two band members I can’t see how they would manage performing their music live, simply due to the sheer number of instruments they incorporate. Last time I checked, two guys can’t play drums, bass, acoustic guitar and piano all at once. Add to this horns, glockenspiels, flutes, trumpets, keyboards, whistling, hand clapping, a drum machine and well, you get the picture. There’s even bongos and at one point what sounds like spoons! But what’s important is that on record, they’re all combined brilliantly to create fantastic pop music, that’s both immensely rich and highly enjoyable. Look out for them in the future, no prizes for guessing what their next album will be called.

Loop Duplicate My Heart – I simply could not go past this song purely for it’s hilarious lyrics. Nerdiness never seemed so appealing! Add to that an erratic artificial beat and you have yourself a winner!

Rent A Wreck – I picked the two songs that first grabbed in the hope that they’d also grab you. Unfortunately this means a lot of the obscure instrumentation and charm has been lost in the process. But this song is absolutely brimming with energy so you’ll be hard-pressed not to be drawn in for more.

5 comments:

professional thomas said...

Brilliant music. I'm really enjoying these. Thanks!

http://www.missingthumbs.blogspot.com

: D

RObot said...

Some goooood stuff you've got here.

Peter said...

Haha thankyou thankyou. This is reassuring considering my brother told me he couldn't stand this album, moments after I posted it!

Anonymous said...

Hey this comes out on Minty Fresh in the United States in two weeks!

Peter said...

well how about that! Looks like I wasn't so slow after all.