Ground Components

Originally I was put off Ground Components' unorthodox style, but as I’ve listened to them more and more, I’ve warmed to it and even come to like it. You see, lead singer, Joe McGuigan doesn’t just sing the lyrics, he yells them, spits them out. It sounds like something is holding him back and he has to do everything he can, against all odds and with every last breathe, just to get those vocals out to you. It really is a weird effect and I almost feel like he’s going to drop dead the moment he finishes. But rock music is always best when the musicians pour their heart and soul into it and Ground Components honestly feel like they’re doing this. Their music is anything but clean and crisp. It’s rough and it’s dirty and by the end of it you feel like you’ve been tossed around unrelentlessly. Imagine what it would be like to be in amongst a crowd of sweaty people all experiencing the same effects simultaneously, as this music is delivered to you personally in an intense on-stage performance. It would great of course!

On Your Living Room Floor – This song really did take a long time for me to get used to but eventually I got there. The emotion they portray comes of so authentically that I couldn’t help but be impressed.

Our Sunshine – This song on the other hand was an instant success with me, probably helped by it’s more orthodox sound. It has a real sense of movement to it, which isn’t something I often feel, as well as a very memorable chorus.

No comments: