Dappled Cities Fly - Granddance

I knew there was a reason why I followed this band around habitually. Dappled Cities Fly just have a knack for entertaining and they’re yet to let me down. With their second album, Granddance, they have continued this trend, producing an absolutely stunning record that puts their previous work to shame. That’s not to say their previous work wasn’t incredible, it was, but it almost sounds dull when compared with the pure exuberance of this latest effort. You could probably put this down to the production process that went into it’s making. Not only did they fly to America to record it but they enlisted the help of a couple of celebrities to produce and mix it. No doubt that helped. But I also see it as bunch of talented young guys maturing in their ability. Having been to a couple of recent live shows and warmed to the pre-released tracks (Within Hours, Fire Fire Fire) my first listen of the album was a somewhat familiar one. But despite this I was still blown away by how well the songs had been put to record. All of the energy has been captured and the sound so clean that it creates an almost eerie atmosphere. It’s sure to get your heart pumping. It also appears that the quirkiness has been toned down a bit, with lyrics no longer so blatantly outlandish. But rest assured, their charm has not been lost. This is especially true in regards to their signature twin falsettos, courtesy of lead vocalists Tim and Dave. The vocals are definitely one of Dappled Cities Fly’s finest strengths. They craft such luscious melodies that you’ll be swept up in a euphoric bliss as you try hopelessly to sing along. But despite this album’s greatness, I can’t but help but feel they can do better. I don’t mean this in a negative way, rather it feels like we’re only at the beginning of what will eventually become an illustrious career. So far their music has earned them a cult following, while the masses have remained largely indifferent. It remains to be seen whether this record will change that. But without a doubt it confirms what we loyal fans have known all along; Dappled Cities Fly are one very special band.

Holy Chord – What an opener! It gradually builds from a slow whisper to an all-out romp. There’s plenty of high-pitched goodness and it features the Tim’s rather ‘jerky’ singing style which I really enjoy.

Colour Coding – This song is another that stands out for me, plus it’s only fair to pick one of Dave’s. I really like the way it appears to jump about, rather than making gradual progressions. The keyboard is also really noticeable explaining why they needed to add a new member (Ned) on keys, to keep their live shows fluent (I do believe it isn’t actually him playing here though)

See the comments for more topical information

13 comments:

Peter said...

This album comes out tomorrow (11 November). It’s getting a US release though the Australian version comes with bonus material. This includes 2 tracks which were recorded but not used (Paint The Walls, Save Your Money) an old demo of the track Granddance and two live videos (Peach, The Birds (Yes!)). Now if that isn’t enough reason to buy it rather than steal it, I don’t know what is. They’re also playing an instore at Red Eye Records tomorrow which is all ages for anyone that’s interested. Other than that they’ll be setting of on a tour at the end of November, the dates for which can be found at A Reminder

In other news, most of the new mp3s appear not to be working. I'm gonna wait it out and hope it fixes itself. For those who are desperate, all my tracks can be streamed at The Hype Machine

Anonymous said...

"holy chord" works fine for me but the second mp3 seems to be the same file...

Sounds good so far: thanks for the download.
I quite like Within Hours!

Peter said...

OOPS! It's all fixed now. Sorry about that! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Unknown said...

a must own album...
that bonus material sounds very intriguing.

Anonymous said...

I saw them today at the launch release of the album. Amazing performance as usual. The album is fantastic. Holy Chord is a great song. I quite like The Eve The Girl as well. I agree with the vocals of both Tim and Dave; superb.

Anonymous said...

in other news, they are #1 on sean's oz top 25 bands list, which confirms what we already knew.. world domination next.

i'll be picking up my copy today.. woohoo!

Peter said...

I'm glad we're all in agreeance here. It is indded one very fine album, worthy of a purchase. And I encourage anyone to check out that list, it's interesting to see a general consensus on who our best are. I don't agree 100% but it's pretty good. 11 of my top 12 made it into the final list but only 2 of my bottom 13 made it in hehe. I only put dappled at #3 because I hadn't heard this album yet. Shame on me.

Anonymous said...

really liking grandance, within hours i think is their best song yet

Anonymous said...

agreeance isn't freaking word, agreement is the correcct term. please don't use again mr i don't utilise abbreviations or poor grammar. Also rumour has it they are changing their name to 'dappled cities' only

Peter said...

If you had checked your dictionary before posting (as I did) you will find that you are in fact wrong. Also, if you reread your own comment, you'll find that you actually utilise poor grammar incredibly well. That said, I do enjoy creating my own words and will continue doing so whenever i see fit! As for the Dappled Cities rumour, I was wondering the same thing myself seeing as the cover seems to be lacking the 'fly'. Personally I don't like it, as I've become accustomed to the current one, but I can definitely see how it causes confusion (Dappled City Flies anyone?)

Anonymous said...

i bought the album today.. and i like it heaps. the live videos are a very nice bonus hey.

oh and about the name change.. this is what was said on their myspaz blog:



Tuesday, November 14, 2006


Droppin the fly......
Category: Parties and Nightlife

WE HAVEN'T DROP THE FLY.

IT'S AN ABBREVIATION.

LIKE ALEX INSTEAD OF ALEXANDER, DAVE INSTEAD OF DAVID, DAPPLED INSTEAD OF DAPPLED CITIES, NED INSTEAD OF EDWARD, TIM INSTEAD OF TIMOTHY AND HUGH INSTEAD OF HUGH.

If we'd changed our name we would have told people.

Peter said...

ah well it's settled then. good news i say!

Anonymous said...

agreed and touche, but agreeance is a shitty word