Evangelicals - So Gone

Everybody deserves a healthy dose of quirkiness every now and then. Well Evangelicals are here to bring it to you. Not content with your generic intros and fillers, these guys go all out in bringing you an endless barrage of farfetched and sometimes disturbing noises that are all brought together to create some powerful and surprisingly free-flowing music. Dotted fairly regularly amongst this untamed aural onslaught are the standard song structures, enough to keep all the verse/chorus conservatives content. And speaking of conservatives, I'm quite sure this band isn't religious. Rather they just picked an annoyingly misleading name (an increasing popular trend these days). Speaking of misleading...(ok, so that one was a bit thin), listening to just a couple of songs off this album is not how it was designed to be heard. Each song sort of blends into the next, like what Mars Volta like to do, but slightly less excessive manner. This means the album feels more like it's own product than a collection of smaller ones. Hopefully however, a couple of samples will be enough to whet your appetite and lure you towards the complete package. It is quite filling I assure you.

Another Day - With an intro like that, these songs have a lot to live up to. Well this song delivers craziness in spades. Each time you hear it you notice something new. It is a nice summation of what to expect from the rest of the album: the unexpected.

Goin Down - The name of this song is the basis for my argument that they're not religious. It takes quite a different approach to the rest of the album and it's equally refreshing. It's the kind of music that can steal your attention and take you along for the ride.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i decided i'm sending you out a mix cd. new indie stuff is great, but seminal indie is better.

Peter said...

mix tape = love! I guess you could say this site is the equivalent of my mix tape for the world. But yeah i look forward to it, I always welcome music coming to me rather than having to go looking for it. thanks

Anonymous said...

i know how cool are mixtapes??? it's pretty much my hobby. i've thought of about 1/2 of the playlist, i just have to go back to my parents cause that's where all my music is. keep an eye out in the post!

Anonymous said...

Ever seen the movie "high Fidelity"
or read the book. John Cusak is a music good, has many a mixtape referance, good movie too.

Peter said...

No I haven't. Can you please stop reminding me how uncultured i am! Cusak a music good eh.....I've know the name but can't remember the sound. As usual I am now compelled to investigate. THANKS

Anonymous said...

the book is WAY better. john cusak's face reminds me of a dog for some reason. same as paris hilton. dogface.

Peter said...

haha you must have seen some pretty good looking dogs...

Anonymous said...

sorry peter
goin down bored me

Peter said...

hey, i should be the one feeling sorry for you