Tap Tap - Lanzafame

That quite lengthy ‘intro’ was in fact inspired by this record, the debut album by some band I’ve never heard of before, Tap Tap. Because like so many other albums these days, it isn’t perfect, but when I put it on it makes me happy and reminds me why I love music so much. After only a couple of listens through I began to identify with every single song and was swept up in their beautifully created sounds, tapping and singing along with every twist and turn. But at the same time I was perfectly aware that after writing this review I would most likely be putting it aside for the next new fad. Does this mean the album isn’t any good? No! Just because it may not make any ‘best of” lists, doesn’t mean I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed listening to it and will continue enjoy it whenever I put it on in the future. Going back to when I said I enjoyed singing along, I suppose I should say that humming or perhaps wailing is a better description. Because their singer’s voice is kind of whiney and often hard to understand, but who cares! It fits in great with their sound and that’s all should matter. Now in describing their actual sound I’m gonna go ahead and piss off Pitchfork by purely using references. Because to be quite honest they truly do sound like Arcade Fire, Tapes n Tapes, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Figurines, all rolled into one nice package. But at the same time this is brand new music, full of fresh ideas. Plus they’re British. What more could you want!?

Little Match (Big Fire) – Interestingly, after writing this post a week ago, I returned to it and picked two completely different songs. Why? I really don’t know (‘On My Way’ and ‘Off The Beaten Track’ were the previous choices for anyone who cares). I think it was more down to poor judgement than anything else. Because while no two songs will be able to do the whole album justice, these two come closest. This song contains a bit of the wailing I mentioned earlier plus a whole lot more.

100,000 Thoughts – This song holds a special place in my heart because seeing as it is the first track, it was the first to hit me with it’s greatness. It was on the third of fourth listen through and since then I have not looked back. It’s quite a bit longer than the norm which allows for quite a bit of welcomed variation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i see your real committed to opening everyones eyes.... even during the hsc?? haha.
good work
just listened to little match(big fire).... it is interesting as if they are slowly progressing towards something?? do i just sound totaly whacked out? but the guys voice does compliment the style of the song.
Withstanding this, i cannot agree with your reference to the Arcade Fire. Although you may be right in that they are a mix of arcade fire and those other bands (ive never heard clap your hands say yeah, but i remember coming across them in another blog).
To me it seems like Arcade Fire have much more depth in they're tunes, mainly because they have a wider variety of instruments.... and canadian bands are cooler.

Still a very fine song, thanks for posting it.

Peter said...

yeah I agree that they're completely out depthed by Arcade Fire. Similarly they are out whined by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, outtempoed by Figurines and outstyled by Tapes n Tapes. But they remind me of each of these bands in some way or another and the combination of these sounds is what makes them special. And as I (kind of) said. By not listening to the album in full you'll probably miss this specialness (at least give these two a few goes on repeat then come back to them a week later and see if you feel anything).

As for my commitment, there was never any question. I wouldn't want to let my loyal followers down...and besides, it's enjoyable. Good distraction too...if there is such a thing...

Peter said...

oh yes, happy dances all round!