8. Wolfmother

It’s kind of sad that Wolfmother have been tainted by their apparent mimicking of classic 70’s rock. I say tainted in the nicest possible way for it clearly hasn’t hindered their rise to fame. But it seems that so often their own talents are overlooked in favour of their influences. In fact these influences are so frequently mentioned that I felt the need to mention their over-mentioning, thus only contributing to it more. But what’s important here is that Wolfmother’s music is their own and it’s great. They play simple rock music and play it well. Lead singer, Andrew Stockdale has a great voice, creating an almost eerie sound and I’ve picked a slower song to highlight this. While I may have never reached the point of obsession with them, Wolfmother are one of the few bands that I’ve continued to like equally before and after their success. Watching thousands of passionate fans mosh wildly to their set at Big Day Out almost brought a tear to my eye; both because I was proud of how far they had gotten and because I wasn’t in there enjoying it with them.

Wolfmother (Previously) - Tales From The Forest Of Gnomes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not having a go at them, but does Tales From the Forest of Gnomes have a kinda white stripes feel?
If its just me feel free to let me know, but if its not just me, also let me know - it'll boost confidence.

Peter said...

hmm, i'd have to listen to them side by side to really know and doing so would require too much effort at the moment. That said, I can definitely see where you're coming from. It's mainly in the middle with the alternating drum beats and guitar riffs that the white stripeyness really comes out.

Anonymous said...

I find it bizarre that the instant Wolfmother came on the scene their songs were being used on all sorts of TV commercials, video games, etc. like they were a band conceived solely for commercial exploitation. Have you ever listened to the lyrics of "Woman"? Spinal Tap's lyrics were more original and they were MEANT as a parody. WM's lyrics are just words strung together which are calculated to sound cool, like they came out of some computer program for generating rock songs.

I cast no aspersions on their musical talent; studio musicians are usually VERY talented.