Mates of State - Re-Arrange Us (2008)

You'd be amazed by how many times this has happened. I've gone to write about an album that has disappointed me, for one reason or another, and upon giving it one final listen, discovered I actually really like it. It's quite absurd. I never seem to learn that it takes me time to appreciate most albums. Days ago I was getting all prepared to explain how the new Mates of State album was a major step backwards from their debut. It was just a manufactured rehashing of their charming sound, devoid of it's own character. Yet now I come here saying it's great.

I think part of the problem was that I had an idealistic image of their first album in my mind. It had been a long time since I'd heard it, and it would appear my imagination went a bit wild. Comparing them now, the new album holds up just as well. It's significantly more polished, something which suits their sound perfectly and as for the lack character, this was really down to unfamiliarity. Once you get to know these tracks, they are just as charming as the old ones, if not more so. It's still not perfect though. At times I can find it annoying, but then I'll be yelling the words, so who knows. Either way, Mates of State have returned with another solid album. It's unashamedly cute and will cut straight to your deep-seeded desire for sing-along pop (eventually).

The Re-Arranger


No comments: