Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

The Arctic Monkeys created a huge storm when they burst onto the scene early last year. I wasn't obsessed like some, but I would definitely have called myself a fan. I found their music fresh and exciting and welcomed the jolt they gave to the music world. Well now a year has passed, the hype has died down and it's time for the band to deliver again. No longer can they rely on the novelty of their rapid rise to success; this time, it's all about the music. I must say that I never expected it, but they actually did it. Favourite Worst Nightmare is as musically sound as their debut and all you fans out there should be over the moon. It's got energy, youth anthems, seedy underbelly tales and plenty of cynicism, but then again, that's where things go wrong. It's more the same. It's not brand new anymore. There's nothing to get excited about. Don't get me wrong, this is a great album, but I don't think it lives up to their debut, simply because it came second.

Brianstorm - One thing I've found interesting about the Arctic Monkeys is that I'm always aware of the lyrics. It's not like they're poetic or anything, but something draws my attention to them. This song was the first single and while it took me a while to get into, it's probably my favourite.

Old Yellow Bricks - I'm not sure what it is I like about this song. It could be the very structured nature, how each instrument comes in on cue, or perhaps it's just that tambourine.

Released: 23/04/07 | Aus: 21/04/07 | Website | Myspace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just Great album! By the way, here is some useful
website devoted to
Favourite Worst Nightmare album: Go